Saturday, April 30, 2011

Books I'm reading...

Today was a busy day. Garage sale-ing in the morning, a first birthday at lunch and a pupusa (my all-time favourite food) at Gorman House markets with an old friend this afternoon.

Was a pretty perfect day although I came home absolutely knackered. Couldn't move from my spot on the bed. I didn't fight the urge to lie in the afternoon sun and do a bit of reading.

Have been dipping into parts of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and am totally entranced by the birth stories. I'm trying to slow down my reading as I don't want it to finish. It is one of those books I noticed lots of blogging mamas reading (and had been recommended by many, including the lovely Jodi) and I can see why. It's refreshing and reassuring to read about a variety of birth stories, and reminds me that I should be open to whatever experience will be my own.

I can also highly recommend the book Birth by Catherine Price and Sandra Robinson. A thoughtful friend gave me a copy when I first mentioned we were trying for a baby. It's full of helpful information, not biased towards any particular way of giving birth, and written in a friendly tone by two Australian women. It's a goodie as I found What to Expect seemed too American (even the Australian version).

Lastly, another good friend lent me her Up the Duff book which I've just been flicking through. Even though a lot of the information seems repetitive now that I've read Birth, I love that she's annotated the text with her own experiences. I'm a bit of a sticky beak like that. But what a lovely idea, no?

Aim for May: read a non-pregnancy book. Have Never Let Me Go still waiting so maybe it's time...

3 comments:

  1. Never Let Me Go is one of my all time faves- aMAZing. As for the pre birth reading, great reads. Ina May is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Ina May's book which I read recently during my third pregnancy. At first I thought it was a little "out there", but I took the advice on the visualizations, relaxing etc and it really and truly worked for me. It was by far my easiest and most enjoyable birth. Love your bedroom pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Ina May for her constant banging on about how our bodies can do it. Found that bit and the birth stories inspiring and empowering. However, I must admit to still having a good old laugh with some close girlfriends who I jokingly charged with nipple tweaking to get my labour going or restart me if I stalled. Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL for anything that progresses labour naturally, but I found that suggestion took me just the tiniest bit out of my comfort zone! Makes me giggle just thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete