Monday, September 17, 2012

A favourite

DSC_0651 DSC_0623 DSC_0772 DSC_0628 Photobucket
A girl after my own heart. She loves hummus. I've never seen her eat the way she does when she eats hummus. Generally she can be a bit fussy, a bit of a grazer. So it's been a relief to find something else that I can add to the failsafe list. Along with Vegemite on rye bread, yogurt, and apple and berry bircher muesli.

I don't eat meat (and haven't done for over 12 years) and I'm yet to introduce meat to her diet. We haven't decided whether we will bring her up on a vegetarian diet yet, but I'm doing a bit of reading now to get a sense of both perspectives. In the meantime I'm on the hunt for some vegetarian meals for a fussy almost-one year old. Do you have any goodies up your sleeve?
 ... 
I've been referring to the recipe from this book for years, but over time my version of hummus has evolved. In my opinion the secret ingredients in a good hummus are soy sauce (you can omit salt this way), a splash or two of sesame oil, and a good quality tahini.

I don't like my hummus with too much garlic and sometimes infuse garlic slices in olive oil for a more subtle flavour...and I must try this version with roasted shallots. It might sound a bit daggy, but my favourite way to serve it as a dip is with cocktail onions and gherkins!

Do you make hummus with secret ingredients?
...
My hummus: 
a can of chickpeas (I like the organic one that comes in a yellow tin, can't remember the brand!) or a cup of raw chickpeas soaked 
+ a good overflowing dessert spoon of tahini 
+ a small clove of garlic crushed (or infuse a few slices in olive oil for a more subtle flavour) 
+ juice of a lemon
+ 3 or 4 big glugs of olive oil (I tend to use a bit of olive oil as this makes it beautifully smooth and creamy)
+ tons of black pepper
+ splash or 2 of soy sauce/tamari (wheat-free option)
+ a couple of splashes of sesame oil
...whizz in a blender and add more olive oil/warm water to get the consistency you like...
(let me know if you try it!)

12 comments:

  1. I've never put soy sauce in it.. I think that would add a more interesting flavor. I only put roasted garlic in, and my favourite has gotta be roast capsicum hummus.. Mmmm I'm wishing we had a blender/food processor at the moment so I could make some! As for meal suggestions i don't know much about food for 1 year olds, but my veg flatmate and I eat lots of roast veg, black beans, frittata, and current salad from our garden.. Not exactly inspiring but then I am feeling a bit over winter vegetables at the moment.. bring on the abundance of tomatoes! Does saskia like pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Have eaten roast capsicum hummus before but never made it - I should though...Oh yes, bring on salads & light dinners! One of my favourite foods is beans. When we travelled through Central America beans and rice was about the only option they had for vegetarians....but I was in heaven! Sass likes a bean or two also, I should remember to add them to her meals more - thanks! x
      ps. She's a bit hit and miss with pumpkin...

      Delete
  2. Your little one is a girl after my own heart too, I love hummus. I've never tried it with soy sauce in it, sounds yummy though. I don't add any secret ingredients into mine but I do love the garlic and sometimes have been known to add a little too much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try! Start with just a little sprinkle and keep tasting & adding till you're happy. It should just give it a lift rather than a definite soy flavour. Hope that makes sense? x

      Delete
  3. Our little man (not quite 10 months) mowed down two zuchinni and corn fritters for dinner. We serve them with sour cream, guacamole and sour cream (http://monpetitpoppet.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/corn-zucchini-and-spinach-fritters.html) and roast vegie cakes are always a winner here (http://monpetitpoppet.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/roast-vegie-cakes.html) and they use up all the leftovers so it's win win! Soy sauce in your hummus. Must give that a whirl. I'd love your recipe! Hope you're having a lovely week full of sunshine and adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those recipes sound great! I'm excited to check out those links (and your blog!)...Thank you x
      ps. Will upload my recipe later today - but I'm warning you, I don't have exact measurements. I just do it by sight now!

      Delete
  4. I have no interest in hummus at all, but Gus loves it too! I fret a little about his complete lack of vegetable intake. Do you have that book by Ottolenghi - Plenty? You possibly do being vegetarian.. it's gorgeous. Anyway, Gus loved the sweet potato fritters from that. (Basically steamed sweet potato and a little bit of flour mixed and fried).
    Which relates to Steph's suggestions - I think fritter/patties/cakes are a hit with littlies. It's veggies in disguise!
    (wah, as if our babies are nearly 1!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too fret about the vegetable intake. But I guess it's just little steps? It's an unusual baby who will eat the whole range of food put before them....isn't it?!?! Love the sound of Plenty - will have to get onto that.
    ps. wah wah wah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried Sophie with hummus yet but thanks for giving me the idea - I love it and have a feeling she will too. Her favourite at the moment is anything frittata/quiche like and mushroom risotto - she can't get enough of either! Would love your hummus recipe if you don't mind sharing... x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hummus and pickles!! You are a girl after my heart;)
    Haven't made it with tamari/sesame oil before but am keen to try. Piper was a veg head for the first year (I was for 19 years and am dabbling in meat now...) and the best things with her were honey tofu, chickpea burgers, and broccoli and cannellinni bean soup. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I missed this post! Fritattas are a big hit with Gus (feta and spinach in particular). What about veggie casseroles and lasagne? Mashed avocado and banana with quinoa always goes down a treat too ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I've never tried it with soy and sesame either, sounds like a great idea. Will definitely have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete